Joyce Hothan, GECRC’s Executive Director, to RetireJanuary 7, 2019
A Summer to Remember!August 6, 2019
GECRC is hard at work making sure children in need in D41 and D89 have access to academic and social supports over the summer months. We need your help! ENSURE GECRC STUDENTS AVOID THE “SUMMER SLIDE” BY DONATING HERE.
SUMMER BY THE NUMBERS
• During summer, the loss of achievement gains impacts low-income students more severely than their higher income classmates due to lack of access to summer academic enrichment opportunities, thus widening the achievement gap, which in D41 is as high as 40%.
• According to research, these summer losses add up, and by 5th grade, low-income students can be 2.5 – 3 years behind in literacy and math..
• Access to summer learning can predict college and career readiness. Two-thirds of the 9th grade reading achievement gap can be attributed to how students spent their summers in elementary school.
• THE GOOD NEWS: GECRC summer school enrollment is projected to increase 45%!
• With YOUR support, GECRC summer school students will get academic support, mentorship and access to enrichment “camp” activities 3 days a week for 6 weeks. Incoming kindergarteners benefit from early academic intervention.